CHEMICAL ANALYSIS (CLASSICAL AND INSTRUMENTAL METHODS)
MICROLAB has a well-equipped department in charge of detecting the chemical composition for a variety of materials. Below are the different types of materials tested at our facility.
Metals and Alloys
- Carbon Steels
- Stainless Steel
- Cast Iron
- SG Iron
- Tools Steels
- Copper & Alloys (Brass , Bronze , Pure Cu , etc.)
- Aluminium & Alloys
- Zinc & Alloys
- Titanium & Alloys (for Aerospace , Defence. etc.)
- Cobalt & Alloys (Stellite , etc….)
- Nickel & Alloys (Pure-Ni , Inconel, Cupro-Ni etc)
- Magnesium & Alloys
- Tin & Alloys
- Lead & Alloys
Oxygen, nitrogen and hydrogen strongly influence the properties of metals such as steel, titanium , copper
Brittleness, ductility and hardness are particularly influenced by the element concentration, which can be accessed by sophisticated equipment with utmost accuracy within economic price ranges.
Measuring Range In Ferrous Materials :
- Oxygen is between 1 to 1000 ppm
- Nitrogen is between 1 to 4000 ppm
- Hydrogen is between 1 to 25 ppm
Measuring Range In Copper Base :
- Oxygen in Between 5 to 550 ppm
Measuring Range In Titanium Materials :
- Oxygen is between 1 to 3000 ppm
- Nitrogen is between 1 to 2500 ppm
- Hydrogen is between 1 ppm to 300 ppm
The current test methods available are:
- ASTM E 2575
- ASTM E 1019
- ASTM E 1569
- ASTM E 1447
- ASTM E 1587
Ferro alloys are alloys with Iron that are added into molten metal, usually during steel making. The below Ferro-alloys can be tested at Microlab:
- Ferro Chrome ( Fe-Cr)
- Ferro Boron (Fe-B)
- Ferro Magnesium (Fe-Mg)
- Ferro Manganese (Fe-Mn)
- Ferro Molybdenum (Fe-Mo)
- Ferro Niobium (Fe-Nb)
- Ferro Silicon (Fe-Si)
- Ferro Silicon Magnesium (Fe-Si-Mg)
- Ferro Silicon Calcium (Fe-Si-Ca)
- Ferro Titanium (Fe-Ti)
- Ferro Vanadium (Fe-V)
Ores & Minerals Products
- Ores and Minerals are naturally abundant materials available in our earth's crust and mantle.
- Majority of the ores are from mining and exploration activities.
- The valuable minerals available in one source are called ores. Ores are generally available as oxides, sulfides, silicates of respective native metals, such as Cu,Cr,Ni,Fe,Zn,Mn, etc.
Classification of Ores & Minerals that can be:
- Iron Ore
- Manganese Ore
- Chromite Ore
- Lead Ore
- Titanium Ore
- Zircon, etc.
- 2. Cement and by products
- 3.Silica Sand
- 5.Lime Stone, Lime
- 7. Fly Ash
- 8.Soil & Stone
- 10.Bentonite and Clay
- 11. Water for construction Purpose (IS 456)
- 12. Steel for concrete
Water and Waste Water
- Water is a precious material which can be used for different kinds of domestic and industrial activities.
- Drinking water is also known as potable water. It must be free from any contaminants such as metals, toxic elements, pesticides, micro-organisms
Water Analysis can be classified into,
- Drinking Water as per (IS 10500)
- Construction Water as per (IS 456)
- Reagent Grade Water as per (IS 1070)
- Water for Swimming pool as per (IS 3328)
- Feed Water and Boiler Water and condensate for high pressure Boilers (IS 10496)
- Waste Water STP(Sewage treatment plant),ETP (Effluent treatment plant)
Coal ,Coke & Graphite
- Coal and Coke are fuel material. These are used for power generation in various power plants and heavy industries.
The property of Coal & Coke classified into many ways
- Proximate Analysis (Carbon Ash, Volatile Matter, Free Moisture, Inherent Moisture)
- Ultimate Analysis (C, N,H,O,S)
- Gross Calorific Value (GCV)
- Sulfur Content
- Ash Fusion Temperature
Fine Chemicals (Industrial Inorganic Chemicals)
- The various types of manufactured chemicals are used for different type of industrial processes.
- Those play an important role in the industrial economic strata.
- Chlor- Alkalis
- Copper Sulphate (CuSO4)
- Soda lye
- Lime products
- Activated Carbon
- Fertilizers are important in agriculture. Plants require a steady supply of macronutrients and micronutrients. Macronutrients are required in larger quantities than micronutrients.
- Di Ammonium Phosphate
- Murate of Potash(MOP) and Micro nutrients
Hazardous & Toxic Elements Evaluation (RoHS, WEE, ELV) as per Euro Directives
- Some of Materials, hazardous to the environment and pollute landfills, and are dangerous in terms of occupational exposure during manufacturing and disposal.
- After disposal the restricted materials enters into the eco system and becomes toxic to the mankind.
- Restriction of hazardous substances (RoHS) also known as Directive 2015/863/EU oriented in the European Union and restricts the use of specific hazardous materials found in electrical and electronic products as well as raw materials and finished product
Hazardous substance evaluations are applicable to the following sectors:
- Auto Mobile
- Heavy Engineering
- Metals & Alloys
- Plastics & Rubbers
- Packing Materials
List of elements/compounds that we test as part of this category:
- Hexavalent Chromium
- Cleanliness (Millipore)
- Type of Coating (Metals)
The chemical analysis is performed as per the IS, ASTM, EPA, ISO Standard Methods.
- ICPOES (Agilent)
- GC-MS (Agilent)
- Gas Analyzer (Eltra)
- C+S Analyzer (Bruker)
- Microwave Digester (Milestone)
- Strholein Apparatus