MICROLAB has the experts to help you manage and resolve any material or product failure problems that you have.
MICORLAB‘s highly experienced team engineers and technicians possess years of Experience in carrying out detailed failure analyses that have occurred as a result of material defects, fracture, errant heat treatments, overloading, fatigue, corrosion, embrittlement and environmental damage.
Our engaged experts will work with you to determine the root cause of the failure and provide you with detailed insights and recommendations to prevent the failure from occurring again, regardless of its original cause.
Our materials expertise covers wrought, cast and powder metals, cast irons, steels, aluminum, nickel, titanium, copper, magnesium, molybdenum, carbon steel.
It is the combination of our knowledge in application, manufacturing processes, fracture mechanics and the impact of the service environment that enables us to rapidly deliver comprehensive answers to service failures and resolutions to future manufacturing challenges.
Our expertise in failure investigation includes:
- Fatigue, brittle and ductile fracture mechanisms.
- Corrosion processes, stress corrosion cracking and hydrogen embrittlement.
- Wear mechanisms, adhesive, abrasive, cavitation erosion and fretting.
We have extensive laboratory equipment providing high quality analysis of all aspects of a failure:
- Electron microscopy coupled with EDX analysis to examine fracture surfaces, identify and analyze features of interest.
- Optical microscopy to examine relevant microstructural features.
- Macroscopic examination
- Chemical analysis
- Mechanical properties
- Hardness testing including Microhardness surveying.
Our areas of expertise include:
- Automotive – Valves, brakes,
- Industrial - bolts, shafts, gears, lifting equipment, hydraulics, boiler tubes
- Corrosion – Stress corrosion cracking, Intergranular corrosion